I’m all for comfort, but not as an excuse for being lazy. I’m not talking about people that live in Under Armor shorts/shirts/etc. like a professional exerciser. I’m talking about the “it’s hot outside, so I’m going to wear as little as possible”. Comfortable? Yes. Limited? Absolutely. As men, we should dress like men, which not only shows respect for ourselves, but respect for those in our party. Personally, I wear a coat and tie to church every Sunday. Respect. This type of mentality should be applied to all facets of our lives.
Situationally, for those 7:30PM dinner reservations with your significant other and friends…the temperature will go down enough to dress like an adult for dinner and drinks. Instead of showing up in shorts and a polo, dress like a man. Be the best looking guy in the room. Your significant other will appreciate it, which makes all the difference.
You can lose the jacket at dinner, and roll up your sleeves when dinner is served. Here’s how to do it right:
From top left:
1. Loro Piana Woven Hemp & Wool Blend Blazer: A light tan or cream blazer is an absolute must this time of year. It’s not a tired look, but a necessary neutral that allows you to dress up other pieces of your outfit without being too loud. Get something good.
2. Ledbury McDaniel Chambray Shirt: Chambray is the workhorse of shirts, but they don’t have to be cut like a work shirt. Ledbury knocks it out of the park with the McDaniel – point collar, slim fit, good buttons… A+.
3. Armani Acqua Di Gio Cologne: This is a great summer scent. Not too much…just enough so she’ll notice.
4. Krewe du Optic Charles Bengal & Iridescent Purple Sunglasses: Just came to know these guys through Onward Reserve. Outstanding looking glasses – a very classic look, with great lenses that feature a subtle purple tint. These are a great, grown up version of sunglasses…eventually you have to stop wearing the neon cheep-o’s.
5. High Cotton Seersucker Gingham Pocket Square: Don’t let that jacket pocket get lonely. Just make sure the fabrics are season appropriate. The cotton seersucker is perfect in a blend blazer (better than silk – and much more useful).
6. Levi’s Made & Crafted Tack Selvedge Jeans: Nothing but the best…
7. Sir Jack’s Pelican Hook Belt: A good belt like this is such a good finishing piece to an outfit. The attention to the details makes all the difference.
8. 1950’s 18K Patek Philippe 130 Chronograph Watch: Old watches are just cool. And this one is about as cool as it gets. Be ready to receive random compliments from strangers. This one is a unicorn.
9. Martin Dingman Jameson Matte Alligator Credit Card Case: Slim jeans need a slim wallet. If you need to carry around more than what fits in this card case, you need to re-evaluate.
10. Res Ipsa #10 Wool Loafers: The perfect ‘flare’ piece for the outfit. A great pair of wool loafers that are unique, stylish, and extremely comfortable. It’s not hard to pull these off any almost any outfit, so own it.
What say you?