No doubt that this is the best time of the year in the South. The temperature is dipping, but it’s not cold. Most of that dreaded Summer humidity is out of town, and the nights are just about perfect. Let’s dress accordingly, folks. Here’s how to do it from Day, to Date Night, to a Formal Occasion. Do it right, guys:
1. Randolph Engineering Aviator II Sunglasses: Since tailgating is still a major part of daytime activities, a good pair of shades are essential. Skip the croakies on these.
2. Pennington & Bailes Coach’s Shirt: Show off your team spirit with this option rather than something bought from a gas station.
3. Clemson State Belt from State Traditions: A belt is the perfect way to up your outfit. Not to mention showing off some state pride – be that guy.
4. Filson Leather Flask: Everyone needs a good flask. Stock your own bar… This is a great way to make friends while tailgate hopping.
5. Filson X Sebego Knight Chukka Boots: If you are going to be on your feet all day, wear something comfortable. These are lightweight and tough – they’ll handle all the punishment you can dish out.
6. Levis 501 Blue Jeans: Get a pair that fits and wear them frequently. Be sure to get a pair that fits – not too loose.
1. Persol 2931S Sunglasses: There’s a good chance that the sun is still shining when you pick her up, so do it right. Again – no croakies.
2. Ledbury Navy & Green Townsend Tattersall Slim Fit Shirt: Your new favorite shirt – wear it well. It’s amazing how good a well-fitting shirt looks.
3. Corduroy Trousers from Sid Mashburn: A new take on cords – an OTR tailored fit puts these towards the top of the rotation. Don’t be afraid to wear these frequently.
4. Loake Kempton Snuff Suede Chukka Boots: While breaking the suede rule is one of my favorite pastimes, it’s that time of year… The more worn, the better. Suede ages as well as any leather.
5. Winchester Watch Strap from Smart Turnout: Add some punch to your wrist with a good military or vintage dress watch. Class act.
6. Gold Buckle from Trafalgar: Engraved or not, a good buckle shows you’ve got it figured out. Put it on the alligator strap mentioned below.
7. Barbour Liddesdale Quilted Jacket: Light enough for this time of year, and perfect to lend your date. She’ll thank you later.
1. Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald Blue Stripe Suit: A gray or navy solid is the standard, but a striped suit should get some play as well. Don’t be the guy that shows up in an ill-fitting suit.
2. Ledbury Blue Fine Twill French Cuff Dress Shirt: Have that French cuff shirt in your closet for big nights like these. When appropriate, bring out the big guns.
3. Martin Dingman Julian American Alligator Belt: I can’t say enough about an alligator belt. Don’t have one? Get one. You won’t be disappointed.
4. Allen Edmonds Snuff Suede Grayson Tassel Loafers: Tassel loafer? Check. Snuff Suede? Check. Do it. Much more versatile than they get credit for. Oh – and shoe trees are a must.
5. Southern Proper X Wm. Lamb & Son Pointer Tie: Add some punch with this orange offering from down South. Not to mention the dogs…
6. Tokens & Icons Antique Civil War Penny Cufflinks: A good pair of cufflinks is a must for any man. Just don’t lose them.