With the arrival and passing of The Masters, my appetite for golf becomes ravenous. I usually play quite a few times a year, and hit the range even more. We are lucky to have access to both really close to our house, so my clubs live in my trunk. I’ve gotten into a good habit of doing an annual ‘clean up’ of my golf bag and my golf equipment (including shoes, shirts, etc.). I just went through it, and am actually in pretty good shape.
There is a lot of really great new golf gear out there. The older I get, the more traditional I become in my set up and all the fixings. I like things that will last, and things that have a high value proposition.
That said, there are quite a few items I have my eye on:
From top left:
1. Bluegrass Fairway Waxed Canvas Valuables Pouch: I like things organized, and a valuables pouch is an absolute must-have for me. This one from Bluegrass Fairway is super nice; a step up from the cheap options. Makes a great gift.
2. G/FORE Golf Glove: I’ve gone almost exclusively to G/FORE gloves. They last so much longer than their counterparts, and come in a ton of cool colors.
3. Gustbuster Umbrella: By far the best golf value on the planet. Gustbusters are awesome, and they are seriously affordable. I would recommend having one on your golf bag, and one in your car(s).
4. Old School Golf Tour Visor: I love new ones, but older ones have such a cool look. Try Ebay or Etsy.
5. Grateful Dead Putter Cover: Give your bag a little character, and it doesn’t have to be of the golf brand/country club variety. Since most of us play music while we play, show ’em who you’re listening to…
6. Titleist SM7 Blackout Wedge: I replace my wedges every few years, and I’m getting close to being due. I’ve been a Vokey guy for the last dozen years, and these blackouts look incredible.
7. RLX Performance Pullover: For a while, RLX was releasing some astronaut-level stuff. It looked way too Star Trek for me. Recently they’ve come back to Earth, and have a really nice collection. Worth a look.
8. TecTecTec VPRO500: I’ve been using this for a couple seasons, and haven’t found anything better. I highly recommend this guy.
9. Maui Jim Red Sands Sunglasses: How about a pair of polarized sunglasses that don’t look like everyone else’s?
10: Bridgestone Golf Balls: Like butter. Affordable butter. High value proposition.
11. Peter Millar X JT Spencer Golf Belt: The new emblematics, and much more affordable than the needlepoints. I
12. Ralph Lauren White Classic Golf Shorts: I really like the white shorts look, and Ralph Lauren released these with the old Polo Golf crest over the back pocket. I’m completely on board with these, even though I’ll have to shorten the inseam.
13. Custom Driver Headcover: You are limited to one logo per bag. Choose wisely.
14. Footjoy Icon Black Golf Shoes: Let’s get back to the classics, shall we? In an era where sneakers are becoming golf shoes, I’d prefer to sit back and be a bit more traditional.
15. Pelican 12-can Soft Cooler: As most of you know, Pelican doesn’t mess around. Their soft coolers are incredible, and this 12 is the perfect size cooler for the cart basket. And it doesn’t look like a cooler.
What are you eyeing this year?