It’s been said that ‘if you want a shirt sleeved shirt, roll up your sleeves’. That doesn’t work for me. Living in the South, where heat and humidity and a consideration for about seven months a year, short sleeves are a must. That said, I like a polo that can be tucked or untucked, can go from the office to the golf course, from a dinner date to the bar, and from the pool to a cookout. There are specific polo shirts for almost all of those – very technical ‘dry fit’ stuff for the golf course (and bleeding over to just about everything else) to some very trendy options for the bars. My money is on something versatile. I want to put it to work.
Fit is important with a polo shirt as well. Up until a few years ago, it was difficult to find something that fit well across the board – the chest, sleeves, and length. Cutter & Buck had excellent fabric, but the sleeves were too long. Lacoste has a great look, but it is cut short, and is extremely full. Brooks Brothers original fit polo shirts are cut like a parachute, but they have fully redeemed themselves with their Slim Fit versions (see below).
There are good options for those that like a good fitting, versatile polo shirt – here’s a round up:
1. Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Slim Fit Polo: They knocked it out of the park with this cut. Not too slim, the sleeves are just right, and it comes in a ton of different colors.
2. Fred Perry Polo Shirt: One of my favorites in my closet. The fabric is very thin – but sturdy. It holds it shape very well.
3. Southern Tide Heathered Polo: Very comfortable shirt. I lean towards these when playing golf because they have a little bit of flexibility. The tuna logo is a nice, whimsical touch.
4. Anchored Style Sailors’ Navy Polo: Up and comers here – they came out of the gate with a tailored fit polo. Good instincts.
5. Polo by Ralph Lauren Classic Fit Mesh Polo: The Mothership. They have had the same cut for as long as I can remember. It’s funny that everyone is going back to their cut.
6. Kent Wang Polo: A logo-less option. The spread collar is a very nice touch – classes it up quite a bit.