I get questions readers quite frequently about what gifts to get for guys. Whether its from a mother, wife, sister, brother, etc, for a wedding, graduation, groomsman gift, birthday, or Christmas, guys are TOUGH to buy for. Clothes are tricky, as there is rarely an element of surprise (unless you just know…). Gift certificates are always safe, but it doesn’t really have the punch of a perfect gift. So what is the right thing to get for a guy?
Well, we’re here to help. Below is a list of tried and true gift ideas that are sure to please any guy for any occasion. In addition, these are the gifts that keep on giving for years; the non-disposable stuff. These are the items with a high value proposition (and you know how much we love those around here). So let’s get going:
From top left:
1. Monogrammed Double Old Fashion Glasses: Every man needs a set of appropriate glasses to serve guests. PLEASE give him a reason to throw away those free pint glasses. Think it through when buying: two is good, four is better.
2. Sterling Silver Engine Turned Slide Belt Buckle: The iconic Tiffany belt buckle. It’s been in style for fifty years, and will be in style for another fifty. This wears very well, so start ’em early.
3. Cedar Shoe Trees: Shoe trees should be purchased with any pair of leather shoes that cost over $150, but are frequently overlooked. These will keep your shoes smelling good and help keep their shape – two things that are paramount to any gentleman’s well being.
4. Engraved Brass Luggage Tags: An under-appreciated gift that will save a lot of mileage at the airport.
5. Leather Golf Headcovers: Let’s face it: the stock headcovers are extremely gaudy, and you aren’t sponsored by anyone. Class it up a little bit with these bad boys from Stitch Golf.
6. Sterling Silver Collar Stays: A great idea for a gift from the significant other. Engrave a secret message to him…he’s the only one who will see it…
7. Razor Set: One of those things that a guy would never buy for himself, but it is a perfect gift. Spend a little extra on this one; razor sets take a beating, so you don’t want to go cheap here.
8. Drake’s Necktie: Drake’s makes the finest neckties in the world, so he’d be lucky, and gracious to have on in his closet.
9. Bullet Pen: Can you think of anything better that shows you mean serious business? Reminds me of a line Ellis said in “Die Hard”…
10. A Nice Duffle Bag: Something every man should have as an ingredient to a complete life. A good traveler is a good man.
11. French Press Coffee Maker: Maybe somewhat extravagant, but it’s the gift that keeps on giving. He’ll appreciate the simplicity and the ease of making his own espressos and coffee…for much less than going to Starbucks.
12. Pocket Knife: No man can have enough knives. Especially a good Case pocket knife. This will last a lifetime…unless he tries to get it through security at the airport.
13. Autographed Replica Helmet: Can you think of a better office accessory? Not to wear of course, but to display with pride. It’s like having Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, or Eli Manning in your backfield.
What did I miss? What are other great guy gifts?