The holidays are getting close… There is Eggnog and yule logs, twinkling lights and fruit cakes…it’s a great time of year. There are also Christmas lists. We here at Red Clay Soul want to help.
As we do every year, we starting off our series of gift lists today. There is a theme, which you’ll figure out as we release them over the next few weeks. First, the list of approved gifts for the drinkers:
From Top Left:
1. “Kentucky Bourbon Cocktail Book”: Not only is this a great coffee table book, but it’s vital research for the holiday season, from Thanksgiving through New Year’s Eve. Don’t be the guy that says ‘uuh…yeah, I can cut it with some ginger ale…’.
2. Keychain Breathalyzer: There was a cartoon that came on years ago – it was called G.I. Joe, and at the end of every episode, they featured a minute or two lesson for the viewers…don’t lie, be safe, look both ways, that sort of stuff. Their catchy phrase at the end of every feature was “and knowing is half the battle”. Apply that here.
3. Luxardo Gourmet Marichino Cherries: Sure, any old cherry will do in your Old Fashion, but gourmet cherries will give your drink super powers. Your dancing skills will improve, your jokes will be the funniest in the room, and ladies will find you irresistible.
4. Alden X Leffot Whiskey Shell Cordovan Tanker Boots: Whiskey boots for whiskey drinkers…get it? The ‘don’t wear the t-shirt of the band you are going to see’ doesn’t apply here.
5. Duck Decanter by Vagabond House: A good bottle of bourbon needs a good home. The decanter is the upper crust way to serve your loose juice…rather than from the bottle. This is a great guy-gift.
6. Antler King Double Jigger by Vagabound House: Efficiency is next to Godliness…or something like that. This 2 for 1 jigger is a no brainer. They are also paramount for making a good Manhattan. And everyone loves a good Manhattan.
7. Leather Flask by Filson: There are so many situations in which booze may need to ninja it’s way in, and there no better way to travel than with Filson. Rather than look like a homeless person or a college freshman, leave the bottle at home, and choose something more civilized.
8. Jefferson’s Presidential Reserve Bourbon: You can never go wrong giving a good bottle of bourbon. There is a reserved space in any liquor cabinet for this Kentucky goodness. Last year was Blanton’s, which is outstanding, but this year we’re going to recommend the Jefferson’s. Serve it alone or with a cube of ice. Drink. Repeat.
9. Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon: Wine drinkers rejoice! The Mrs. has gotten me into good cabernets, and the Silver Oak is tough to beat. It’s a ~$80 bottle of wine, so this is the perfect gift for a boss/co-worker, neighbor, or her parents.
10: Persol 714P Folding Sunglasses: A good pair of dark sunglasses are essential when drinking. Refer to these as ‘hater-blockers’. Block in style.
11. Ralph Lauren Glen Plaid Double Old Fashion Glasses: I got a set of these last year, and we use the ALL THE TIME. Classy, not so masculine that she won’t use one, but heavy enough to feel significant. DoF is the perfect glass size for 90% of the drinks you serve.
12. Orvis Bullet Bottle Opener: An intimidating way to pop a top, and a perfect stocking stuffer. The back end of the bullet doubles as a corkscrew. Again with the utility. Well done.
13. Orvis Battenkill Bottle Holder: A really cool idea…what, did you think you were going to travel with that good bottle of wine or scotch in a paper bag? Heavens no.
14. Knob Creek Rye Whiskey: After quite a bit of taste testing, I have deduced that Knob Creek’s rye is the best for Old Fashions. It has just the right taste for my preference. Everyone is different, but it doesn’t mean they are right. I am. Buy this bourbon.
Cheers, folks. What did I miss?