The recent cold front did an excellent job pushing that warm air out of the Southeast, FINALLY allowing us to break out the sweaters, the waxed coats, and the flannels. While I don’t keep as many flannels as I do OCBDs, I have a few, and really like the look. I do mine with jeans/5-pockets/khakis and shoes depending on how I care for the shirt: if it’s a wash > hang dry > light iron, then I’ll wear loafers. If it’s a wash > no iron, then I’ll wear boots.
To me, a good flannel is all about cut and weight. I like them to be a little slim, and not too heavy. I’m a layer guy, and these provide some extra warmth during the cold months. These are the flannels that I’m into:
From Top Left:
1. The Perfect Flannel Shirt from Orvis: Orvis rarely misses, and these flannels are a prime example. High on value proposition.
2. Beretta Flannel Button Down Shirt: Please tell me you know that Beretta does apparel and accessories? And they are great…very true to their brand, with a hint of Italian flare.
3. Ledbury Stephenson Flannel Shirt: Some of the best OTR fitting shirts on the market. Not too thick so they’ll work under a blazer. Ledbury does it right all year ’round.
4. Southern Proper Chase Flannel Shirt: Some of my favorite gear from the ladies of Southern Proper are their flannels. They are a bit thicker, and are not built to see an iron. Wear these like you would a work shirt.
5. LL Bean Scotch Plaid Flannel Shirt: Probably the best value proposition in terms of flannel shirts.
6. Viyella Sport Shirt: A go-to flannel. Viyellas are an 80%-20% wool-cotton blend, so they provide a little more warmth and are a bit ‘tougher’. If you’ve ever worn one, you know what I mean.
7. Sid Mashburn Burnt Orange Flannel: A dress shirt cut with flannel fabric, and in some of the coolest patterns around.
8. Gitman Vintage Flannel Shirt: A great cut. The Gitman Vintage shirts are a bit pricey, but they are made in the USA and have a nice, slim fit.
9. Duluth Trading Free Swinging Flannel Shirt: Because they have the best commercials on TV. This is a work shirt, so beat it up.
10. Onward Reserve Jasper Flannel Shirt: Since Onward has started producing clothing and accessories via their own brand, they’ve been knocking it out of the park. Their flannels are no exception…the patterns are unique, and the fit is spot on.
What did I miss? What flannels are you digging this year?