Happy Thanksgiving from the Red Clay Soul family!
All is well in Red Clay Soul land…it has been a GREAT year. We are thankful for a new marriage, our health, our families, our great friends, our great partners, both old and new, and most of all, we are thankful for our readers. You folks are great, and keep this thing going.
Now go see your family and friends today, eat well, and enjoy the football!
In keeping with the *extended* Black Friday sales, our friends at East Dane are happy to announce their play: BIG savings over there. As you can see, 15% off $250 or more, 20% off $500 or more, and 25% off $1000 or more. Now is a great time to pull the trigger on some of their stuff. Hint: get with some friends and combine orders to take advantages of the savings.
East Dane is a great place for some of the more high-fashion brands like A.P.C., Billy Reid, Persol, and Steven Alan, but also the everyday brands like Filson, Imogene + Willie, and Ray Ban.
Oh yeah, the best part? The discounts apply to ALL BRANDS. Head over quick and do some damage…
A lot of you guys have questions about what to get the ladies. I am not qualified to answer. At all. Instead, I turned to Mrs. RCS, who is more stylish than all of us put together. Let’s take a little break from the standard RCS gift guides and let the finer sex have a go…this one is for the women that you love:
It’s almost that most wonderful time of the year, guys. Each year, a growing number of my guy friends, brothers-in-law, coworkers, and now, my husband, quietly ask for help and advise for gifts for their women. For their baby sisters, older sisters, mothers and grandmothers, sisters-in-law, best friends. My advise is typically the same: just be thoughtful. Think of what she enjoys, and go from there. This list is by no means all inclusive, but it should have something, or more likely, many things, that any of the girls/chics/women in your life will truly appreciate.
1. BKR Bottle in Kitten: Yes, this is a fancy water bottle. She will love it, regardless of how often she hits the barre, the mat, the pavement or the gym. They are available in any trendy color, but even the pink wary will enjoy this cute hue.
2. Rodin Crema: We ladies love a great hand cream, and Rodin is the best. It’s rich but still light, and won’t leave her hands greasy or overly scented.
3. Sip & Savor: Drinks for Party & Porch by James Farmer: James can do no wrong in my mind, and there is not a woman in your life that won’t enjoy the stories, photographs and yes, recipes, in this great collection. Everything is beautiful, tasty and inspiring.
4. Brass Pineapple: What does she collect or love? Pineapples, old winding clocks, vintage barware? Check sites like 1st dibs and Chairish and don’t neglect vintage shops in your neighborhood. Have an eye out for things that are uniquely special to her, and the effort won’t go unnoticed.
5. Harper Cuff by Julie Vos: This is for every girl. Classic and fun and perfect, regardless of her age.
6. Ella Mae Bread Board by Lamon Luther: Women love to host, so most of us have the cheese boards, serving bowls and platters locked down. This bread board is a welcome and oft overlooked staple! These beauties are made locally in Atlanta from reclaimed oak. Check out the Lamon Luther story, and be sure to share it with her. She will love it ever more.
7. Tory Burch for Fitbit Metal Hinged Bracelet in Rose Gold: Finally a tracking bracelet that isn’t a total style killer. About time!
8. GiGi New York Uber Clutch in Cognac Embossed Python: A grown up clutch is so much more appropriate than most of what she carries.
9. Echo Touch Speckled Nep Gloves: Our hands are cold guys, and these casual gloves are fun and still stylish. The conductive thumbs and index finger tips mean she can text with, like, everyone, and still feel her fingers.
10. Hornvarefabrikken Horn Hair Hook from Ann Mashburn: A must for anyone with long hair.
11. WWake Double Rectangles Ring: More classic than trendy, this is actually two rings that can be switched around to her hearts desire.
12. Knotted Brass Beads & Tassel by Gold & Gray: She will wear this brass and leather beauty everyday.
13. Oversize Cashmere Scarf from Demylee: Every woman longs for a perfectly oversized cashmere scarf. This pick is effortlessly chic and so soft, she won’t want to leave the house before wrapping up in its goodness.
14. Delfonics Wood Ballpoint Pen in Silver: Whether she’s taking notes in class, hammering out details with a client, or just working on her crossword puzzle, this pen is a much improved choice above a bic stick.
15. Agate Coaster Set from C. Wonder: A pretty place for her cups.
16. Eccolo Concave Sterling Beaded Frame: The only gift your grandmother wants is a nice picture of you. Print a great shot of yourself with your pup, your girl or just casually posing as the great grandson she knows you are. Then put it in this classic frame and wrap. It’s all she wants, so don’t disappoint.
17. Liz Caan Cocktail Tray in Gold Splatter: Yes we all have platters and bowls and trays… but this one is splattered in Pollock-esque glittery gold and it’s really something special. I recommend coupling this with Sip & Savor.
18. Moon & Lola Like A Boss Coffee Mug: For the overachieving, type-A workaholic in your life. Or the girl that just acts like one. Either way, she probably drinks coffee.
Black Friday and Cyber Monday have turned into a week or two of serious savings, and we’re here t help you take full advantage. A lot of sales are starting today, so this week on Red Clay Soul will be very busy…keep checking back. To get started, here’s a list of the goodies to check out:
Levi’s is doing 30% off of everything site wide. You know how I feel about Levi’s, so here is a great opportunity to stock up. Me? I’d grab a pair of the Timberwolf tan 501s. Mainly because I’ve already worn one pair out.
Nordstrom Rack has all of their winter jackets up to 50% off. Lots of good options, especially the dress wool coats like this one by VC. A very cool dressed up military look.
Indochino is doing up to 70% off EVERYTHING. Pretty serious business…
North River Outfitters is offering 25% off all full priced merchandise (promo code: NOPROBLEM). It includes just about everything on the store (except Alden), but they carry a TON of brands that 25% off would make a nice dent (Barbour, Patagonia, Bill’s, etc.). Me? I’d pick anything from Dale of Norway. Incredible stuff…
Orvis is offering an extra 20% off their sale items, which is really nice because they just restocked. Me? I like the Quarter-Neck Sun-Soaked Sweatshirt (above) for $45 and the Running Dog T-Shirt for $11. Both line right up with my Christmas list.
Allen Edmonds just started their Black Friday sale, knocking 25-30% off a TON of stuff. Me? I’m a sucker for suede chukka boots, so these Gobi’s would come home with me.
Brooks Brothers just marked ALL of their sweaters and outerwear 30% off. All of them. Yes, there are a TON to choose from, but the good deals will be on the cotton cashmere stuff. The sweater above is awesome – the Mock Neck Four Button version is an outstanding deal at $68. These go with EVERYTHING and are machine washable (DO NOT DRY).
Neiman Marcus Last Call has everything on sale. I love it when they do this. They have tons of good stuff, including these silk camo Magnanni slippers for $209. Give your tuxedo a little life…
Ralph Lauren is doing 40-60% off select styles for their Thanksgiving sale. I’m impressed with how much they are offering. Polos for $29, loafers for $44, and scarves for $35. No reason not to…
J. Crew is doing a big 30% off sale of their ‘Winter Picks’ (which means just about everything in the store that isn’t on sale), and an additional 30% off their sale section (which is everything else). It’s hard to beat a Thomas Mason dress shirt (above) for $70. That’s as good a deal as you’ll ever find.
Five Mile is running a HUGE sale on their shoes – 50-70% off EVERYTHING. Get some good staples here, especially their Horse Bit driving mocs for $85.
Looking for a good gift for someone that’s tough to buy for? My friend Martin Dingman has a sale on his awesome wool stadium blankets (above) for $99. There aren’t many on your list who wouldn’t love to get one of these…
Moosejaw is running a 20% off sale on a ton of stuff – most of the store. Included are a good bit of their Suunto watches. Very cool watches for the outdoorsman, or the wanna-be outdoorsman.
More outdoors stuff: REI is doing a 30% off pre-Thanksgiving sale on a ton of stuff. Seriously, too much to list – over 6500 items. But in all honesty, you are not going to find a better deal than $169 on the Patagonia Down Sweater (in almost every color) (above). These usually go for $229, and the sale ends tomorrow…step on it.
I’ll be updating this as I find more goodies…be sure to check back frequently…
I’m really pleased to announce the opening of the Red Clay Soul shop over at Huckberry. Super cool stuff….here’s my curated view of their world. Head over and see what you think. I’ll be adding more stuff in the coming days and weeks, so be sure to check back frequently.
Head’s up, folks: the iconic Shaggy Dog sweaters at J. Press are on sale – 25% off!! These never go on sale, so don’t miss your chance…lotsa colors, lotsa sizes. Get on it.
Earlier this week, Filson released the first items from their Restoration Department. I’ve been pretty pumped about this, and am not disappointed. I understand the price points, and am not surprised. There is a high value in that wear and tear.
One item they restored was a tan Rucksack (above). Now, I haven’t been a backpack guy since I retired my Jansport back in high school, but it has made me think… The utility could be good for my needs, but is it out of the comfort zone? I don’t know…
I have a serious question for my readers – do any of you use the Filson Rucksack? If so, what for? And if you do, do you like it?