We talk a lot about bags. It’s a good subject- I wouldn’t want any RCS reader using a garbage bag to travel. For the most part, men’s luggage is Filson-esque canvas or some sort of ripstop nylon like Tumi. Most of us have a rolling suitcase that we check, and a duffle bag to carry on, or use as a weekender. There are plenty of niche alternatives, and I have really don’t have a problem with any option. Whatever makes traveling easy is fine with me.
If you want to move up to first class, start looking at a leather duffle. It’s the more masculine of bags, and a long term investment for the well appointed guy. These are the bags that become your go-to for long weekends or the ‘one piece of luggage’ that fly in the overhead bin. The leather will patina well, and requires a little more care than their canvas counterparts, but each looks fantastic and will only continue to do so.
Here are some RCS approved options:
From Top Left:
1 Tom Beckbe Leather Weekender: This is called a ‘Weekender’, but it’s a healthy option. I’d say it’s more of a long weekender, which works for me. The leather is fantastic, and the signature Beckbe ‘X’ design gives it some character.
2. J.W. Hulme Continental Duffle Bag: Hulme makes some very handsome leather pieces and their Continental design has been around for a LONG time.
3. Mission Mercantile Benjamin Leather Duffle Bag: My friends at Mission Mercantile are leather experts, and the Benjamin is a great, affordable option for a leather duffle that will become a frequent flyer. Great size and shape, it’s a classic that will never go out of style.
4. King Ranch Campanero Duffle Bag: Excellent bag, and they offer the old school Texas font monograms. How cool is that?
5. Tecovas Large Weekender: Tecovas first branched out from their boots with this duffle, and I can tell you from personal experience that this bag is incredible. Very affordable, and very sturdy, which gives it a really high value prop.
6. Martin Dingman Rudyard Polocrosse Duffle Bag: We’re all aware of Martin Dingman’s prowess in the leather arena, and no details were spared in his Polocrosse line. This duffle has a clam shell opening, giving greater access to all the contents. The orange lining is a nice nod to the outdoorsman.
7. Filson Waterproof Leather Medium Duffle Bag: Of course Filson is going to offer an all leather version of their iconic duffle. And it’s incredible.
8. Barbour Leather Travel Bag: Barbour’s option is a bit smaller than some; a great choice for the light traveler.
9. Colonel Littleton No. 5 Travel Grip: Last on the list, but certainly not ‘least’, this duffle is designed like an old doctor’s bag. It has a structured feel and a hinged opening that allows for easy access.
Did I miss any?
P L E A S E S U P P O R T O U R P A R T N E R S :