If you are a college football fan, yesterday was incredible. Sure, there were some losses that hurt, but there were also some wins that were euphoric, and some plays (and players) who were outstanding. In the aggregate, that’s exactly what the day was what it’s all about- incredible, and unexpected football.
My observations from yesterday:
- Good work to Georgia Tech to right the ship vs. Virginia Tech. That will probably go down as their biggest win of the season. I’m married to a Yellow Jacket, so I have to include something about them.
- What a game by Mississippi State. They came out and punched Bama in the mouth, making this the most entertaining game of the day (along with the Ok. State vs. Iowa State game). Sure, the Tide ended up with the win, but I was seriously impressed with MSU QB Fitzgerald. He’s a player, and the type of guy I’d want leading my NFL team, should anyone be watching.
- Oklahoma is legit. They throttled the Frogs last night, led by all-everything Baker Mayfield. As impressive as Mayfield was RB Rodney Anderson. Holy Lord that guy played out of his mind. He ran the show….Mayfield was throwing lasers, and I swear he was being covered by a dozen DBs. TCU is excellent, but I have no problem saying that Oklahoma may be the best team in the country. I doubt anyone wants to play the Sooners right now.
- Quietly, Clemson got a win over a really down FSU team. I don’t know what’s going on with Clemson. They keep finding a way to win, but there’s no special sauce. I worry about them heading into the ACC Championship.
- During the Miami vs. Notre Dame game, I found myself wondering who Jesus was pulling for. You’ve got Mark Richt vs. Catholics. I think we all agree that even Jesus is over Notre Dame. They are out of the playoff picture, unless they find some obscure rule that automatically puts them in if they are over .500. Don’t worry, we’ll hear all about it.
- Pac 12? Did their bus leave?
- On to UGA vs. Auburn (why I called this post ‘part deuce’). All the credit in the world to Auburn. They did everything right. Auburn BY FAR played their best game of the year. All the gloating I’m hearing from my Auburn buddies is 100% earned. UGA BY FAR played their worst game of the year. In comparison to their first nine games, the way the Dawgs played was an anomaly. They came out tighter than Jesse Palmer’s suits, committed dumb penalty after dumb penalty, and dropped two TD passes. Reverse half those and it’s a different story this morning. Had UGA played like they did vs. UT or Miss State, it would have been a much different game. The Auburn folks won’t admit that, but they know it. Sure, the Tigers exposed UGA’s OL issues. I truly hope Auburn beats Alabama so UGA gets another shot. I have a hard time believing that Auburn can maintain the level of play they showed on Saturday. No wayUGA loses twice to that team. They have too much upside. So, between now and the SEC Championship: Go Auburn!!!
The RCS Top Ten:
- Notre Dame